-->

24/06/2013

Delicious ratatouille


So I'm back from the countryside! As I said, I was going to do some French food so here's what I did! A food originated from Nice, France. Ratatouille is a healthy and delicious food. It's actually perfect for the summer since it isn't very heavy. And it's suitable for vegetarians! Just keep reading and you'll see the recipe and the original link for this dish.











I talked to my host mama for the first time ever on the phone! Oh my gosh it was scary. She was really friendly and understanding even though she had to repeat words many times. I got about 75% of what she said so it could have been worse. Ironically, the longest sentence I said was "J'étudie français depuis sept ans et je ne sais pas le parler" meaning I've studied French for seven years and I can't speak it. Even though I just did. Hmm...

On Wednesday I'll be heading off to Helsinki to see one of the greatest bands alive - Green Day! The second time in my life already, I feel so blessed! But now I'm off to sleep, here's the recipe:)

Ratatouille - vegetable stew with pasta


What you'll need:

2 large aubergines

3 small courgettes

1 red pepper

1 yellow pepper

4 large ripe tomatoes

4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

2 yellow onions

350g penne pasta

1 tsp sugar

olive oil

red wine vinegar

fresh basil

salt & pepper

garlic salt

  1. Cut the aubergines into 1.5cm chunks. Cut off the courgettes ends, then across into 1.5cm slices. Cut off the stem of the pepper, cut away any membrane, then chop into bite-size chunks.
  2. Score a small cross on the base of each tomato, then put them into a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes, leave for 20 secs, then remove. Pour the water away, replace the tomatoes and cover with cold water. Leave to cool, then peel the skin away. Quarter the tomatoes, scrape away the seeds with a spoon, then roughly chop the flesh.
  3. Set a pan over medium heat and when hot, pour in olive oil. Brown the aubergines on each side until the pieces are soft. Set them aside and fry the courgettes in oil until golden on both sides. Repeat with the peppers. Don’t overcook the vegetables at this stage, as they have some more cooking left in the next step.
  4. Tear up the basil leaves and set aside. Fill a saucepan with water and when it boils, add the pasta into it. Cook the onion in the pan until they get some colour. Be careful not to scorch them! Add the garlic and fry for a further min. Stir in the vinegar and sugar, then tip in the tomatoes and half the basil.
  5. Return the vegetables to the pan with some salt and pepper and cook for 5 mins. Pour out the water from the pasta through a colander. Sprinkle garlic salt over the pasta. Serve with basil. Ready!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2903/ratatouille released in Good Food magazine, September 2006.
Recipe in my blog slightly modified and shortened.

2 kommenttia: